The short answer is yes, you can! Many auto transport companies can ship any kind of vehicle, ranging in make, model, and size. Therefore, big or small, truck or compact, it can be shipped for you. When it comes to shipping a non-running car, not all companies have the proper equipment and manpower to do so. However, National Dispatch is well-equipped to handle the shipment of your inoperable car.
Before booking auto transport services, you must take into consideration the factors that may affect your car transport rate. Car transport rates vary depending on the services you select in addition to other specifics about your shipment. Non-running vehicles require special care and attention. For this reason, it is good to have a general understanding of the auto shipping process, beforehand.
What Is a Non-Running Car?
A non-running car is just as it sounds. It is a car that does not run or is not safe to drive. Therefore, auto shipping services are required to transport the car. Many cars get in this condition from collision damage, which ultimately leads to mechanical failure. However, there are other cases in which the inoperable car happens to be a classic car that is being worked on to restore it to its former glory.
Shipping a Non-Running Car
Requesting car shipping services for a non-running car is not that different than for a car that runs. However, there are some extra steps and details that you want to be sure are taken care of prior to shipping. Here are the steps that you will want to go through.
- Do your Research. When shipping any car, regardless of if it runs or not, you will want to make sure you are getting the best deal. To do this, you will need to do your homework to find the right auto transport company. The company should offer affordable rates, have the services you need, and be friendly in providing customer service. Read more on How to Find an Auto Transport Company.
- Contact Company. After finding an auto transport company to ship your vehicle, you want to contact a representative with the company to be sure that they offer non-running car shipping services. Not all companies have the required equipment or are willing to handle these types of vehicles.
- Compare Pricing. Most auto shipping companies offer an online quote form. This gives you the opportunity to fill in a little information about your car to receive a free quote. Many quote forms allow you to choose if you will be shipping a non-running or running vehicle. You could also ask about the cost of shipping, while you speak to the auto transport representative.
How to Ship a Non-Running Car
Non-running cars cannot be driven onto the car carrier. Therefore, the auto shipper must use other means to load the vehicle. These will vary depending on the type of carrier that you will be using to ship your non-running vehicle. There are two primary car carrier options, which include:
- Open Auto Transport: The car will be loaded on to an open carrier using a winch. There are different types of winches, which may be manual or hand cranked. The car is pulled up on the carrier by the chain, which is attached. It is important to keep in mind that because this is an open carrier, the car will not be protected from natural road elements and weather conditions. Read more on Open Auto Transport.
- Enclosed Auto Transport: If you want to use this method of shipping, then your car will be loaded on to an enclosed carrier, usually using a liftgate. These liftgates limit movement when loading. They are especially useful for low clearance vehicles, as they prevent damage to the car. Unlike open auto shipping, enclosed auto transport protects the vehicle from a variety of road elements and weather conditions. Read more on Enclosed Auto Transport.
Determining the Cost of Shipping
Cost is the factor that most people are concerned about when shipping any car. This includes inoperable cars. You may be wondering how the company came up with the car transport rate you were given. In general, the cost to ship a non-running car is more expensive than that of a running one, because of the extra time and effort required to safely transport the vehicle. The cost of shipping varies depending upon many factors, including the typo of car, distance, route, shipping method, and type of carrier.
How does type of car affect your rate?
You will be transporting a non-running car. This service is more expensive than if you were to ship a car that operates properly. Why is that? This is because of the equipment that the trucks must have to safely load and unload your vehicle. In addition, the drivers must be trained to transport these types of vehicles. You wouldn’t want to hire someone who has no idea what they are doing. In addition to the condition, the make and model of the car will have an affect on your rate. This is mainly due to size. If you own a larger car, then it will take up more space with more weight on the transport carrier, usually contributing to a higher cost.
How does distance affect your rate?
Distance is one of the most important factors when determining a car transport rate. In general, the farther you need your car shipped, the more expensive it will be. This is because the truck will require more fuel to transport the car a longer distance. In addition, it requires more drive time. Therefore, shipping a car coast to coast, say New York to California, is going to cost more than just a few states away.
How does route affect your rate?
You must consider where you need the car shipped to and from. This can affect the cost of shipping. Transport carriers often go through major cities, across the nation, picking up cars for various customers. Large cities are easy for transport carriers because of their proximity to major highways. If you need your car shipped to or from a rural location, your car transport rate may be more expensive. This is because transport carriers do not pass through these areas as frequently.
How does shipping method affect your rate?
Pricing also varies depending on how soon you need your vehicle. The more flexible you are on your shipment time, the lower the cost of shipping will be. However, accommodations can be made for those who need their car shipped, as soon as possible. Many customers offer a rush shipping option. At National Dispatch, we offer a guaranteed shipping option. It is more expensive than our other standard shipping options. However, you will get your car within a shorter time window.
How does carrier type affect your rate?
You can choose between the transport carriers we previously discussed, an open carrier or enclosed carrier. This will be based upon personal preference and needs. It depends upon exactly what type of vehicle you are transporting. If you are transporting a non-running classic car, you may want to opt for an enclosed carrier. It is more expensive, but it will protect the car from the open air, weather, and outside elements.
Tips for Shipping a Non-Running Car
The transport of a non-running car requires proper planning, as well as special equipment. To ensure that the transport of your vehicle goes smoothly, we have assembled a few tips. Check them out below:
- Hire the right company. We mentioned this before, but it cannot be overstated. To safely load and unload your inoperable vehicle, the auto transport company needs to know what they are doing. Hire a company with a driver who is equipped and qualified to handle the task at hand. At National Dispatch, we hire nothing but the best. We understand that it takes time, effort, and expertise to transport your car safely to its destination.
- Inform the company about the car’s condition. The auto shipping company cannot properly assist you in transporting your vehicle if they do not know that it does not run. You must tell the company when booking that is inoperable. This way they have all the necessary equipment and manpower before showing up at your door. This will also prevent any added fees or time delays.
- Know what is wrong with the car. A major part of telling your auto shipper that it does not run is knowing why it does not run. Maybe, the problem is an easy fix. It might cost you less to fix the car and ship as a running vehicle than to ship as a non-running car. This would be the case if a dead battery or flat tires were the problem. If it is wrecked car, then you should understand what does and doesn’t work to inform the auto transporter. Does the car roll? Does it brake? Can you steer it? These are all great questions to ask yourself.
- Book ahead of time. Car shipping takes proper planning. Not only must the auto shipper make the appropriate preparations, but you must, as well. There may be some preparation tasks that you need to take care of prior to shipping. In addition, booking ahead of time ensures that you get the best car transport rate, as well as the pick-up and drop-off time that you prefer. Be aware of the busy times in the auto transport industry, typically in the summer.
- Prepare your car for shipping. As we mentioned, there are some preparation steps that you must take to ensure that your car is ready to be loaded and transported. The most important one is to secure all loose parts on the vehicle. In addition, you should remove all personal belongings from inside the car. We are not responsible for lost or damaged items.
Why National Dispatch
National Dispatch is a nationwide auto shipping company with a company-owned fleet. We have years of experience in the auto transport industry, shipping cars for individuals undergoing a residential move, vacation, corporate relocation, and more. This is just one of the many reasons why our customers rely on us to safely transport their vehicles across the nation. If you book with us, here is what you can expect:
- On-time delivery. Businesses and individuals rely on scheduled delivery dates. They need their cars picked up and delivered when they say they are going to be. Otherwise, they may be forced to miss a day of work waiting around. By booking with National Dispatch, you can count on a timely delivery.
- Reliable services. It can be hard giving your car keys over to a stranger. However, we make it a little more easy. You will have peace of mind knowing that your vehicle is in the best hands. We will treat your car as if it was our very own.
- Convenient pick-up and delivery. At National Dispatch, we offer door-to-door auto transport. This is a service in which the driver will come directly to your home or place of business to pickup and deliver the car. This is much more convenient than the alternative method of terminal-to-terminal auto shipping.
- Fast delivery. We also offer a guaranteed delivery service. This acts as a kind of rush delivery service for those individuals or businesses who need their car within a short time window.
Are you in need of car shipping services? Whether it is a running or non-running vehicle, National Dispatch can assist you! We can ship your car anywhere in the United States. Our representatives are standing by ready to answer all your questions and help you book auto transport services today. You can call us at 800-321-2051 to get a free quote. If you prefer an alternative method, you can fill out a quote using our online quote calculator. Requesting a free, instant quote is easy. Only four simple fields are required: vehicle make, vehicle model, pickup location, and delivery location. No personal information is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!